“True sustainability will become a requisite, not a nice-to-have.”
– Gavin Tollman, Trafalgar Global CEO
There are countless buzzwords for sustainability: eco-friendly, green, planet-positive, carbon neutral. But what does it really mean? For Trafalgar, it can be distilled to four words: “travel today, sustain tomorrow.”
Powered by its parent company, The Travel Corporation’s 10-year-old TreadRight Foundation, Trafalgar’s guests experience more than 80 JoinTrafalgar initiatives around the world as part of their itineraries. Under three pillars: people, places and wildlife, and the planet, these experiences allow guests a chance to give back through travel that is economically, culturally and environmentally sustainable, so generations to come can enjoy the gift of travel.
Here’s how to talk to clients about JoinTrafalgar experiences:
- JoinTrafalgar gives travellers the opportunity to travel the world while ensuring the local communities and environments they visit remain thriving, healthy and vibrant long into the future.
- Through TreadRight, JoinTrafalgar has helped to support more than 80+ projects in over 70 countries around the world.
- Many itineraries highlight partnerships with artisans, farmers and local families – meaning suppliers benefit directly from visitors.
- JoinTrafalgar is committed to preserving natural habitats and cultural heritage sites, including many UNESCO World Heritage sites.
- Some well-known partners include ME to WE, Wildlife Conservation Society, Surfrider Foundation and Sea Turtle Conservancy.
- Travellers are increasingly aware of their impact on the planet and want to support operators whose values and practices protect the communities they visit.
- Trafalgar itineraries help sustain the livelihoods of local communities which are often in rural or off-the-beaten-path locations, encouraging tourism dispersal and year-round incomes for many people off the tourist track.
- Whether a trip supports animal and habitat conservation or social enterprise, travellers benefit from knowing they are contributing in a meaningful way while on vacation.
- Céline Cousteau, environmentalist, filmmaker and granddaughter of Jacques Cousteau, is the global ambassador for TreadRight.
- Trafalgar itineraries help fund Wilderness Foundation Africa’s efforts to prevent poaching of endangered rhinos. Partnering with One Tree Planted, JoinTrafalgar supports the reforestation of destinations such as Tanzania and Northern California.
- To date, Trafalgar has planted more than 150 acres of trees through clients choosing paperless travel options. View more projects here: treadright.org/projects
- Travellers who are supportive of sustainable travel are adventurous, curious and crave meaningful interactions.
- Well-travelled Gen-Xers and boomers who want the world’s special places and natural environment to be enjoyed by generations to come.
- Knowing what your client is passionate about (people, environment, wildlife, culture, history) will make it easier to suggest options from the 80-plus worldwide JoinTrafalgar experiences.
- For travellers asking for deeper, once-in-a-lifetime moments, suggest trips that feature local connection. Two examples include meeting the Iraq Al Amir Women’s Cooperative in Jordan or visiting South Africa to see the efforts of SANCOOB in protecting the Cape penguins.
- The Travel Corporation is setting its sights on a single-use plastic-free future by 2022. In 2019, Trafalgar is eliminating plastic water bottles from their coaches in Europe, North America and Asia.
Learn more by visiting Trafalgar.com/en-ca/join-trafalgar